Fort Grębałów Kraków
Grębałów Fort in Kraków
It was erected in the years 1897–1899. It consists of the casemate body, free-standing flanking battery and the bulkhead caponier located in a natural ravine. The caponier constituted a divider of the ravine, which was an extremely difficult obstacle to overcome.
The fort was charged with a task of controlling the plain stretching toward the Vistula River slope, and protecting the railway line running in the direction of the Russian-occupied part of Poland. Four cannons located in the rotating armoured turrets determined the strength of the fort fire – today one can admire their tin reconstructions – and four other cannons in the casemates of the flanking battery. This fort participated in the so-called First Battle of Kraków November 20–22, 1914, providing fire support for the counteroffensive of the Fourth Austro-Hungarian Army fighting against the Ninth Russian Army encroaching the fortress. At present, the fort houses a horse-riding club.
There are no objects in the selected category.