Back

Cmentarz wojenny nr 91 Gorlice

War Cemetery no. 91 in Gorlice

War Cemetery no. 91 in Gorlice
Uwagi nt. dostępności: War Cemetery no. 91 in Gorlice -
ul. Korczaka, Gorlice Tourist subregion: Beskidzki
Facilities at cultural sites: Photographing allowed
Type of historical sites: Cmentarz
Located on the top of Cmentarna Mount, the necropolis is a representative cemetery of the 3rd Gorlice cemetery district, designed by Gustav Ludvig and Emil Ladewig. The entrance to the cemetery leads through the enormous gate with three arcades. The area of the cemetery, encircled by a sandstone wall, is divided into four grave fields. The centre of the cemetery features a monumental cross with a plaque commemorating the fallen soldiers of Polish origin that was placed in 1928. The necropolis was initially the burial site of 427 Austro-Hungarian, 139 German and 287 Russian soldiers. Later on, the total number of people buried here rose to 1,441. Cmentarna Mount (357 metres above sea level), towering above the town, was a key position on the line of Russian defence during the Battle of Gorlice. Nonetheless, the 82nd German Infantry Division, where many Poles from the Greater Poland served, managed to quickly capture its peak, which allowed the outflanking of the Russians defending in the centre and firing at the town buildings and the roads entering Gorlice from the east, thanks to the cannons hauled to the peak of the mount. This way all the Russian attempts at counterattack that would bring help to the defenders were thwarted.
Play Play

An unexpected system error occurred.

Related Assets