Back

Pałac Sanguszków Tarnów

Sanguszko Palace – Former Staff Headquarters of the Russian Forces in Tarnów

Sanguszko Palace – Former Staff Headquarters of the Russian Forces in Tarnów
Uwagi nt. dostępności: Sanguszko Palace – Former Staff Headquarters of the Russian Forces in Tarnów -
ul. Sanguszków 28, Tarnów Region turystyczny: Małopolska
Tourist subregion: Tarnowski
Facilities at cultural sites: Photographing allowed
Type of historical sites: Castles, manor houses and palaces
The Sanguszko Family of the Pahonia coat of arms were the last private owners of Tarnów (until 1787), but the family resided here for many years afterwards – until 1945. The palace in the former village of Gumniska (the present district of Tarnów) was erected in the late 18th century. It was rebuilt ca. 1834 and the residence was enhanced by a neo-Gothic chapel and neo-Renaissance elements in the late 19th century. A large park encircles the building. The palace, which after the November Uprising became the headquarters of Władysław Sanguszko, in the autumn of 1914, served as the quarters of General Chełmicki, the commander of the Cossack Cavalry Division of the 10th Corps of the Third Army commanded by General Radko Dimitriev, and then of other commanders of the Russian garrison. The garrison left the town without a fight on May 6, 1915, threatened by being cut off from the remainder of the Russian Army, resulting from the breakthrough of the front south of Tarnów during the Battle of Gorlice. The palace housed a police station after the Second World War.
Play Play

There are no objects in the selected category.

Related Assets